Admins, managers, managers and mangers
Artist Advance relies on the idea of user-roles to allow users to carry out their required tasks and a small number of super-admins who are able to manage the site at a very high level. Everybody else on the site is a user who is assigned a role in relation to a particular object on the site – these roles allow the user to manage everything from that level down.
With so many users to manage (over 1,200 at the last count), we opted to use a passwordless login solution from auth0 which allows users to access the site with just their email address.
As tour managers complete their act’s details the site runs a tally of artists, crew, guests and vehicles expected at the event, giving SC Productions a quick high-level view of their events.
Uploads, downloads, emails and attachments
Artist Advance is noteworthy in how many different types of inputs and outputs required.
- upload key documents for a given event
- email to notify tour managers that they’ve been added to the site
- email to tour managers confirming the details they submitted
- email to advancing group managers that tour managers have completed or updated an act, with changes highlighted (CC’d to event managers)
- attachment with details of artists, crew and their vehicles
- attachment with details of guestlist and camping requirements
- download a .CSV file with details of all acts at an event
These outputs are especially important as SC Productions can’t always be certain of a good internet connection at many of the events they manage – the team need to be able to use exported files and their email inboxes as a fallback. For emails, we used the fantastic SendGrid API and for file uploads and storage we used Amazon’s S3.